Monday, March 10, 2014

Social Networking Sites

Myspace is a classic, something that everybody has heard of, know of, or even used before. The Myspace era started in the early 2000s, when I was in middle school. It started as a trend for everybody to add each other on their "Top 8" friends list and post little comments on each other walls. I used Myspace mainly to write in the about me section and make it seem sophisticated and full of attitude. Other than that, there is always a feature that allow users to put in layouts and other things such as putting in a slide show of your pictures. This site has its benefits because it challenged in learning HTML and remembering all the codes. Since its been quite a while I have forgotten most of the things I have learned in the few months that I used Myspace.

Facebook is one of the most popular networking site around the world. I have been using Facebook since freshmen year of high school and I still find it quite entertaining. My first impression of Facebook is that it is very confusing since I've just grown out of the Myspace phase. There are a lot more features on Facebook than there is on Myspace, I guess Tom did not put enough work into Myspace (lol). The downside of Facebook is that we are not able to customize our homepage. With Myspace, as users we can put layouts and other HTML related customizable features. Instead on Facebook we can put information in our "About Me" and other categorized sections but Facebook is not about telling people information about us, directly but it is more about interacting with our friends and letting everybody on the internet know where we are going, and where we are at. I personally like Facebook because of it's ease to communicate and share things among friends through their walls and have group chats with 17+ people or making event pages to coordinate an event.

Twitter is most likely one of the most used social media around the world because everybody uses it to update each other and consumers about their business or life. This social media is so widely used that celebrities such as Ellen and business such as, Nike, uses Twitter. When I first used Twitter I found it so pointless because it is so bland. The layout and set up is very bland and boring in my opinion because I am more used to Facebook and Tumblr. I have never even considered using Twitter until I noticed how some companies used it to show release dates of the products. I found this very convenient because you do not have to refresh their homepage every ten minutes to find out news, instead you will get their tweet. I have learned to like Twitter more because it gives you a place to rant about your day and express your feelings. It is not recommended to post a status on Facebook sixteen times a day about what you are currently doing, it gets quite annoying.

Tumblr is one of my all time favorite. This is a blogging site that allows you to publish post and reblog other people's post too! It such an awesome trend in the social media world because it literally brings you to another world that you do not get to see when you are on Facebook or Twitter. On Tumblr you are able to see pictures, A LOT of pictures. You can follow blogs that are dedicated to certain things such as funny post, girly post or blogs dedicated to a celebrity. I love following funny post, girly post and traveling post. Overall, this site is very entertaining and can be used to pass time when you have nothing better to do. It also gives you the opportunity to customize your home page with layouts, just like Myspace did. It gives you a chance to make your Tumblr, yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment